There’s less than a week before we debut the New Vision & New Look of Handcrafted HoneyBee! With completely re-imagined, educational Create-Your-Own Skin Care Kits, we are ready to inspire girls to Dream Big for their lives.
One of the best ways to engage a young girl’s mind is by combining big ideas with a great story.
So, with help from the design team at Aeolidia, we’ve developed a team of role models. These “HoneyBee Heroines” are full of personality, with the ability to spark the imaginations of the girls who use our kits.
Why These Four Professions?
The members of this team each has a story that a girl can relate to. And their interests reflect four major professional areas that a big-dreaming girl could consider for her life: Science/Math, Design, Culinary Arts, and Entrepreneurship.
There are so many opportunities for aspiring young girls today. But we decided to focus on these four professions because they encompass fields where women are under-represented.
Grade school and middle school is often the age when girls start to receive subtle (and not so subtle) messages steering them away from careers in STEAM fields. Think of the difference we could make in a young life by offering a vision for her future rather than discouragement!
Another appealing feature of each of these fields? They are filled with a variety of career options that can enable a girl to create, explore, and develop her talents in pursuit of her Big Dream.
Now, many girls are interested in and good at a lot of different things. So in order to speak directly to that girl, we created a fifth Heroine who loves reading and learning, but is less sure about the direction she wants her life to take.
Where Can You Find the HoneyBee Heroines?
Right now, the HoneyBee Heroines are featured in our Create-Your-Own Skin Care Kits and in the exclusive online content available to our Kit Creators. But keep an eye out! You’ll start seeing them and their stories in other areas, like social media and our blog.
And this is only the beginning! We’ll also start sharing the stories of real-life HoneyBee Heroines–girls who are working on their own Big Dreams in the real world.
Until then, I’d like to introduce you to the stories of five very special girls!
- Bio: Ever since she was a little girl, Valeria has loved spending time outdoors, poking around her family’s garden, picking flowers and looking for critters tucked in under the mulch. She is the kind of girl who asks “Why?” so often that it kind of drives her parents crazy. So Valeria got in the habit of figuring things out for herself, coming up with answers to her own “Why?” questions and then testing them out to see if they worked. She likes discovering new things and teaching her friends what she has learned–even if sometimes she sounds like a know-it-all.
- Her Skills: curiosity; meticulous note-taking; a desire to understand how things work
- Her Tools: magnifying glass, notebook, microscope, telescope, multi-meter, CAD software
- Her Motto: “Asking ‘Why?’ can be the start of a fantastic adventure.”
- Her Favorite Subject: science
- Potential Careers: engineer, mathematician, biologist, chemist, physicist, physician
- Combines with: The Chef to become a food scientist
- Combines with: The Designer to become a design engineer (automotive, aerospace, etc.)
- Combines with: The Entrepreneur to become a futurist
- Bio: Kayla has always been a talented artist, but lately she has started to notice beautiful art everywhere she looks. Posters, book covers, birthday cards, even product labels–each of these things has been designed by a living, breathing person to solve very specific problems in the most beautiful way possible. Kayla could spend hours just “doodling” in her notebook, creating fancy letters and swirling patterns. She tends to see the world in black-and-white, even though she loves to draw with as many colors as possible!
- Her Skills: imagination; eye for color, composition, balance, and form; attention to fine details; persistence for hours of deliberate practice
- Her Tools: pencil, pen, paper, straight-edge, light box, scanner, design software
- Her Motto: “Develop your skills every day with practice, patience, and a critical eye.”
- Her Favorite Subject: art
- Potential Careers: web designer, motion designer, game designer, fashion designer, photographer, film maker, advertiser/marketer
- Combines with: The Scientist to become an architect
- Combines with: The Chef to become a food stylist
- Combines with: The Entrepreneur to become an industrial designer
- Bio: Grace loves experimenting in the kitchen. It all started when she decided to make a “potion” out of three kinds of juice and discovered that it actually tasted good! Since then, Grace has made cookies, cake, salad, and soup. But the most fun has been going to the local farmers market with her family to pick out fun and interesting things to try out at home. She’s not a big fan of doing the dishes–even though things can get pretty messy in the kitchen after one of Grace’s projects!
- Her Skills: intuition; taste; a spirit of experimentation; a good sense of aesthetics and presentation
- Her Tools: knife, spoon, pan, baking sheet, food processor, piping bag, thermometer
- Her Motto: “Get your hands dirty, have fun and create something delicious!”
- Her Favorite Subject: social studies/geography
- Potential Careers: caterer, forager, professional taster, food writer, sommelier, hospitality specialist
- Combines with: The Scientist to become an agricultural consultant
- Combines with: The Entrepreneur to become a restaurateur
- Combines with: The Designer to become a food photographer
- Bio: Maïa is the kind of girl that likes to stay busy. As soon as she gets her homework done, she’s always working on some kind of project. When Maïa gave her best friend a bracelet she made, lots of her other friends told her how much they wished they could have one. She has started to wonder if she could make a little spending money by selling the bracelets after school. Maïa likes meeting new people and going on trips with her family to visit new places.
- Her Skills: determination; organization; leadership; self-motivation; an interest in public service
- Her Tools: whiteboard, contacts list, spreadsheet, business plan
- Her Motto: “Don’t be afraid to try something, fail at it, and learn to do better next time!”
- Her Favorite Subject: mathematics
- Potential Careers: business owner, business consultant, investor, economist, professional speaker, non-profit administrator, importer/exporter
- Combines with: The Scientist to become an inventor
- Combines with: The Chef to become a gourmet food retailer
- Combines with: The Designer to become a product or freelance designer
- Bio: Sarah is an enthusiastic reader. Since she was little, her mom would take her to their public library every weekend. She would spend hours picking out books from the long stacks and poring through them an an astonishing pace. From fiction to history to art and science, every subject is fascinating to Sarah–there’s so much to learn! Sarah’s not really sure what she wants to do when she grows up, since she’s good at a lot of things. She thinks she might like to be an author. She has started a bunch of stories, complete with her own illustrations, but nothing she wants to share yet with the rest of the world. In her room, Sarah keeps a journal secretly tucked away in the top shelf of her closet. (Don’t tell, ok?)
- Her Skills: love of learning; appetite for adventure; an ability to perceive connections between different subjects
- Her Tools: library card, journal, map of the world (with push-pins on the places she wants to visit)
- Her Motto: “It’s exciting to know that there’s always something new to learn.”
- Her Favorite Subject: reading
- Potential Careers: author, playwright, journalist, teacher, illustrator, crafter
- Combines with: The Designer to become a set or costume designer
- Combines with: The Entrepreneur to become a publicist
- Combines with: The Scientist to become a technical writer
- Combines with: The Chef to become a food anthropologist